National Bike Month in the Bonneville Metropolitan Planning area ~ May 2016 (flyer)
- May 2 through 20, 2016 ~ Bike Challenge ~ District 91 and 93 K-6 (Elementary School) – Students, ride your bikes to school as many times as you can during these three (3) weeks for a chance to win a brand new bike from Bill’s Bike and Run! Watch for more information to be given to students at school.
- May 9, 2016 ~ National Bike to School Day
Bike to School Day is a national event that gives communities across the country the opportunity to join together in bicycling to school on the same day. The event, an exciting celebration for both those new to the experience and those who have been two-wheeling to school for years, is part of the movement for year-round safe routes to school, and encourages bicycling to school as a healthy way for kids and families to make their school commute.
- May 16, 2016 ~ Ride of Silence ~ Monday, 6:00 p.m.
Join riders at Dave’s Bike Shop, 341 Broadway, for a moment of silence and ride to commemorate those that have lost their lives while cycling. This will be a 20 – 30 mile ride.
- May 16 – 20, 2016 ~ National Bike to Work Week
- May 19 and 20, 2016 ~ School District 93, 5th Grade Bike education and ride, Thursday and Friday
This event includes all elementary schools in School District 93. The 5th grade students have the opportunity to learn about bike safety and skills in the class room. The students, parents, teachers and volunteers ride their bikes to the Iona City Park. The students have of chance to use the skills they have learned in the classroom and then are offered a picnic and games (sponsored by the YMCA) at the park. After which they ride back to the schools. This is the 9th annual event made possible through the Safe Routes to School Grant.
- May 20, 2016 ~ National Bike to Work Day, Friday
Sponsored by the League of American Bicyclist, National Bike Month is an opportunity to celebrate the unique power of the bicycle and the many reasons we ride. Whether you bike to work or school; to save money or time; to preserve your health or the environment; to explore your community or get to your destination, get involved in Bike Month in our area by Biking to Work — and help get more people in your community out riding too!
- May 21, 2016 ~ Adventure Ride ~ Saturday, 10 a.m. – Noon
This fun event is a great family adventure! Follow clues that will take you through downtown Idaho Falls and all along the Riverwalk to reach checkpoints and earn a chance to win awesome prizes. The ride will begin at 10:00 am at Snake River Landing (pier).
The events are sponsored by Dave’s Bike Shop, Idaho Mountain Trading, Bill’s Bike & Run, Idaho Falls Parks & Recreation, Idaho Falls Community Pathways and Bonneville Metropolitan Planning Organization (BMPO).
- May 23, 2016 ~ Mayors’ Ride & Live Well Idaho Falls Activity~ Monday, 6:00 p.m.
At the Falls Overlook on the West Side of the Snake River – Take a ride with the mayors of Idaho Falls, Ammon, Iona and Ucon. This family event is part of the Live Well Idaho Falls series and will include a community ride and ribbon cutting for the West Side Riverwalk upgrades. Please meet near the falls.